BLGC BOLTON YOUNG CARERS
BLGC’s Bolton Young Carers project aims to improve the lives of young carers through support, information, training and working in partnership with other agencies to promote their social inclusion and reduce their caring responsibilities.
BLGC provides the following support and services to assist Young Carers to cope with the stress and complexities of their family situation through:
• Weekly sessions for different age groups so that they have some free time
• Intensive one to one support for Young Carers experiencing particular difficulties
• Access to positive activities and outings on a regular basis or during the holidays
• Support for young carers to maintain their schooling
• A dedicated YC Mentor that supports Young Carers and the whole family
• Young Carers Forum which assists with awareness raising
• Create opportunities to meet other Young Carers and reduce their isolation
• Improve the confidence, self esteem, resilience, mental health and wellbeing of Young Carers
Being a Young Carer can often have a significant impact on a young person’s health and wellbeing. Young Carers may be investing a lot of time and energy into looking after a family member or friend and therefore not finding enough time for themselves. Many young people who have caring responsibilities notice a long-term negative impact on their physical and mental health and wellbeing.
Being a Young Carer clearly has a profound and lifelong impact on their lives. For many, caring is not a totally negative experience as they value the responsibility they were given at a young age which they felt led to greater maturity than their peers. However, our work suggests that being a Young Carer generally has a negative impact on their mental health and life chances.
Nationally Young Carers have said that there should be “no wrong doors” for Young Carers and their families. Young carers should be identified, assessed and their families supported regardless of which service is contacted in the first place. Our service will work within Bolton’s Framework for Action outlining how Early Help will be delivered to facilitate a high quality, collaborative approach to holistic assessment, support and planning and enable positive outcomes for the whole family.
Below are a range of brochures and leaflets, which will give you much more detail about the service we offer to Young Carers.
Part of BLGC’s Young Carers project has been designed to support schools to work towards the Young Carers in Schools Bronze Award to help make the identification and support of young carers in schools as easy as possible.
We will be supporting schools across Bolton to utilise the step-by-step guide written by The Children’s Society and Carers Link to help setup, implement and evidence that schools are working towards the Young Carers in Schools Bronze Award. Our service will support schools to understand and access a range of ready made resources to evidence a working towards the applying for the award. Resources could include:
- Step by step handbooks and guides
- Templates and best practice examples
- Materials to raise staff awareness
- Teaching resources
- Pupil noticeboard materials
- How to guides for running effective support
Below are 10 resource packs to support schools to work towards Young Carers in Schools Bronze Award, packed with resources, templates and great examples to get you started.